Important AV Information:
Grant Writing Session – Sunday, February 5, 2017
Please find all registrant submitted grants per group in the following dropbox folder: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/u7xcc0myenm4q3y/AADjO6UiQAdbdObfNcYkv4b4a?dl=0
Mock Study Section – Monday, February 6, 2017
Faculty Materials are located here:
Basic/Translational (Group 1, 2, 3) : https://www.dropbox.com/sh/45opjalg9r4v3nb/AACWWowwj9RS6deFgSbL2Lwxa?dl=0
Clinical/Health Services/Outcomes (Group 4, 5, 6, 7, 8) : https://www.dropbox.com/sh/gur1n8xasha7hdc/AACSiqQg1dOCqHl_rc4YwaJNa?dl=0
The goal of the mock study section session is to teach participants how grants are evaluated. A number of K and R grants have been submitted, some of which have been funded and others that have not been. These will be provided to all course attendees for the mock study section, along with the templates for scoring and scoring guidelines. Course participants will be assigned as primary, secondary and tertiary discussants of these grants. The course faculty will act as the chair of the study section and facilitate the review process.
It is expected that the course participants carefully read and evaluate the grants assigned to them according to the template and scoring guidelines given to them.
During the study section, the chair will lead the discussion using a format similar to what is used in actual study sections:
- The chair will ask for preliminary overall impact scores from the primary, secondary and tertiary reviewers.
- The primary reviewer will a give concise summary of the proposal and highlight its major strengths and weaknesses.
- The secondary reviewer will then briefly point out areas of agreement and disagreement with the primary reviewer, and discuss additional strengths and weaknesses.
- The tertiary reviewer(s) will briefly point out additional strengths and weaknesses not covered by the first two reviewers.
- The chair will ask the primary reviewer whether appropriate protections are in place for animals and human subjects as indicated.
- The chair will then open the floor for discussion by other group members.
- The primary, secondary, and tertiary reviewers will then state their final overall impact scores.
The sample grants will be distributed to the course participants 3~4 weeks before the actual course, via the internet.